City of Billings
Park Board Minutes 02/07/19
07 February 2019 / 6:30 PM / Billings City Hall, 202 NE Hwy 60
Tim Fields, Karen Foster, Nick Harter, Nik Browning, Susan Jones, Jennifer Fritsche
Members of the fair board were concerned about the cattle show having access to the softball field and fence. The park board agreed to allow fair board to continue to hold the cattle show in the softball outfield as has happened in previous years during Labor Day weekend. Browning to inform school athletic director the softball field is unavailable.
No old business.
- Adoption of bylaws. Motion made by Browning to adopt bylaws as amended, seconded by Harter. Voting “aye”: all present. Voting “nay”: none. No abstentions.
- Kelly Hasner suggested board look into the MO Park and Recreation Association (MPRA).
- Discuss Concessions.
- Servsafe Certification is $10 online. Fritsche offered to pursue certification.
- Foster motioned to rekey concessions and bathroom locks, seconded by Browning. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Harter motioned to set usage fees at $5.00 per event day, with refundable $50.00 deposit and responsibility agreement to be decided next meeting, seconded by Jones. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Discussed need to take inventory and create usage checklist.
- Billings Assembly of God will not host Easter Egg Hunt this year. It was agreed the park board doesn’t have time to plan event and suggested the board should buy eggs at discount after Easter.
- Funding issues.
- Foster explained the disparity in possible expenses vs tax revenue and suggested we be mindful of balancing our budget this year and coming years.
- Harter presented idea to raffle gun at Independence Day fireworks. Browning motioned board to pursue gun and bow raffle, seconded by Foster. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Painting in park. Browning motioned for Jones to pursue “painting party” in conjunction with school/ community in June. Seconded by Foster. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Softball field. Board agreed to postpone indefinitely.
- Library Board 5k. Library representative did not arrive, discussion tabled.
- Mulch. Jones motioned to pay Keith to spread mulch under swings and other playground equipment, Harter seconded. Foster to call Melissa Venable about details and coordinated timeline with City Hall.
- Security ideas tabled.
- Cloud Family bench. Harter motioned to postpone decision on placement of bench, seconded by Fields. Board members to bring suggestions. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Bathroom upkeep. Foster volunteered to donate time to clean bathroom most weeks. Browning motioned for Foster to donate time to clean each week, when Foster unavailable, the rest of the board would help; seconded by Fields. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Facebook page. Browning offered to create and manage page. Motion made by Fields, seconded by Harter. All present voting “aye”, none voting “nay”, and no abstentions.
- Sesquicentennial celebration. Planned to coincide with 2021 Fair.
07 March 2019/ 6:30 PM/ Billings City Hall, 202 NE Hwy 60