Posted by chopkins | Posted in Board of Aldermen Minutes | Posted on 30-07-2015
Minutes from the Regular Session of the Board of Aldermen Meeting on
July 9, 2015 at 7:00 p.m. at the Billings City Hall, Billings, MO 65610
Present were: Mayor Bud Pierce, Treasurer Chris M. Hopkins, Chief David Taylor, Water and Wastewater Maint. Supt. Randy Poindexter, Attorney Jim Kelly and City Clerk Ruth M. Haskins.
Citizens and guest present were: Eugene Spears, P.E.; Brad Cole, Candidate for Sheriff’s Election:
Jeff Meadows and Cameron Schwess; Bob Brauch; Hanna Smith; Ronny Marshall; Stan Schultz;
John Schatz; Wade Wilbanks; Layla Wilbanks; Hagen Wilbanks and Holly Fender.
Mayor Pierce asked everyone to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance.
Mayor’s Comments. Thanked everyone for coming. For the Board, next month or nine month mark for the Budget amendment? If need to do a six month that will have to be done next month. Another
positive move for Billings, the new owners of Whispering Heights have started two houses and have
sold two more lots to other contractors and they will start two more houses. They should be ready before too long to start the other Phases. The City will be doing an Open House on the weekend of the Billings Fair from 9 to 12 on Saturday; the Museum will be up and running by that time. Water reports with a 3” rain we had a bypass which was reported to DNR.
Mayor asked if anyone wanted to speak that was not one the agenda. Mr. Brad Cole, who is running for election for County Sheriff in the Special Election in August. Mayor Pierce asked how he was going to work with the Municipalities. Mr. Cole responded that his vision was to see the County and the Municipalities to work together. Mayor Pierce stated there was not much cooperation with the last Sheriff. Mr. Cole acknowledged that fact. However, in the future he believes it will change for the betterment of the citizens. Mr. Brown asked what the status was on the flag pole for the City Hall? Mayor stated he was getting quotes, the last quotes he received was $5,000.00 just for the pole, no installation or anything else. Mayor is waiting for some more reasonable quotes to come in.
Motion made by Brown that the Board go into Closed Session Pursuant to Section 610.021(13) seconded by VanZandt.
End of Closed Session 9:15 p.m.
Reopen the Regular Session.
OLD BUSINESS. NONE.
NEW BUSINESS, MEMORIALS, PROCLAMATIONS and ORDINANCES.
- Motion to review and approve the Consent Agenda made by Venable seconded by Coker. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Motion to approve authorizing the Mayor to sign the Quit Claim Deed to the Community Hall over to the Fire Department made by Coker seconded by Venable. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Motion to accept the resignation of Kaye Crawford effective June 15, 2015 made by VanZandt seconded by Powell. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Mayor Pierce to recommend to the Board the appointment of Holly Fender for the Ward 1 Alderman position to replace Kaye Crawford. Venable stated if a vacancy occurs a Special Meeting must be called. Mr. Kelly stated no one does a Special Meeting for a vacancy, the only reason for a Special Meeting would be to have a full Board. Mr. Kelly stated everyone needs to understand the Mayor is the only one to make the appointment and then if it does not pass then the vacancy might not be filled for some time. Motion to postpone the appointment until next month made by Coker seconded by Venable. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker and Powell. VanZandt abstained.
- Lt. Cuschieri needs direction from the Broad. Motion made by VanZandt to give the Owners two weeks to cut the hay and it will be up to Lt Cuschieri to give them a letter and a ticket if they do not abide by the letter seconded by Brown. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions. Revisit at next Board Meeting.
- Mayor appointed Jenna Groves to the Library Board for 2 years to 2017. Motion made by Coker seconded by Powell. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Poindexter has 58 hours of vacation unused and his Anniversary is July 18th at which time to take all of his vacation. Motion made by Brown to extend time to his Anniversary date in 2016 seconded by Powell. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Burt Bond stated DNR inspection, the problem is it was inspected in 2009 and a lot of things that were wrong then has not been addressed. The Sand Filter was the inspector’s biggest issue. The Board has never seen the 2009 DNR report on the wastewater plant. Bond will start doing some of the Camera work with the Boards approval. Mayor stated the Board had approved $6,000.00 several months ago.
- Bond will also check the lift stations for debris and get that cleaned up. Board thanked Mr. Bond for his time explaining all the issues for them.
- Mooneyham Pest Control has turned in a bid for spraying for spiders, ants and roaches. Mayor has a verbal bid from Allied Pest Control at $85.00 per quarter. The City Hall needs to spray on a regular basis by the quarter, because of the spiders in the basement are setting off the alarms, which has happened a couple of times. Mayor stated have Mooneyham come one time and spray, then next month get 3 bids for quarterly spray program. Motion to have Mooneyham come and spray this month and next month get bids for quarterly spray program made by Venable seconded by Coker. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
- Christian County Ambulance District is proposing a ballot issue on April 2016 election. Motion made by Venable that Billings Board would prefer to be excluded from the propose ballot issue seconded by Powell. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker and Powell. Voting “Nay” None. VanZandt abstained.
- Motion to approve payment of wages, expenses, bills, statement and other expenditures for the month of June 2015 made by Coker seconded by VanZandt. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
No further business.
Motion to adjourn made by Brown seconded by VanZandt. Voting “Aye” Venable, Brown, Coker, Powell and VanZandt. Voting “Nay” None. No abstentions.
Bud N. Pierce, Mayor
Ruth M. Haskins, City Clerk